Spicy Thai-Style Vegetable Soup2012-08-14
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 40m
Comfort food through and through, this soup is a great way to use of some of those veggies that are plentiful in the summer garden. If you don’t have fresh veggies on hand use your favorite low-sodium canned or frozen veggies- broccoli, baby corn, or whatever else you’d like to try. Experiment a little! Check the nutrition facts of the bamboo shoots- some have lots of salt, while others have barely any. Select a chicken broth that has less than 100 mg of sodium per cup.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces and then quartered
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut in 1/2 inch pieces and then quartered
- 1 large yellow onion, halved, quartered, and quartered again
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved and then quartered
- 1 can (14 oz.) light coconut milk
- 1 can (8 oz.) bamboo shoots
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs fresh Thai basil
Sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil in a large stew pot on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. Add zucchini and summer squash. Cook squash until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add white wine and stir for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, bamboo shoots, curry, and ginger. Stir and hea heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes, or until tomatoes are lightly cooked. Stir in coconut milk and lime juice. Heat to a light simmer. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with Thai basil.
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Total Fat7.2 g
Saturated Fat3.8 g