Hearty Venison Chili2012-09-11
- Servings : 10
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 2:0 h
- Ready In : 2:30 h
This chili is packed with flavor! It takes some time to make, but it is well-worth it. Beef stew meat can be used if venison is not available.
- 1 1/2 pounds venison stew meat, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) of dark beer, such as a porter
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons no-salt chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Blanch, peel, and quarter tomatoes. To blanch tomatoes, place in boiling water for 60 seconds. Immediately move to an ice water bath.
Brown the stew meat in olive oil in a large stew pot. Add onions, bell peppers, jalapeños, garlic, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Add beer and tomatoes to the stew pot and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add water during cooking, if needed, to prevent the chili from burning.
Serve with your favorite low- or no-salt crackers. Our favorite are Nabisco’s Hint of Salt Triscuits!
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Total Fat2.8 g
Saturated FatO.7 g